Desmond David Hume
- Age/Date of Birth:
- Met Jack while training in a stadium
- Supernatural Characteristic:
- Talked about faith and correctly predicted Jack’s future wife Sarah would be miraculously healed.
- Reason on the island:
- Apparently crashed here during his around-the-world race
- With the Survivor’s of Flight #815
- Resided on the island for quite some time; introduced to the “108” machine by previous inhabitant “Kelvin”;
- took over operating the “108” machine (entering “the numbers” every 108 minutes);
- likes to call everybody “brother”
- like to tell people that he’ll see them “in another life”
- His girlfriend’s name is “Penelope.” In Homer’s “The Odyssey,” Penelope was the name of Odysseus’ wife. She remained loyal, waiting for many years for Odysseus to sail home from Troy. In a similar vein, Desmond’s Penelope is continuing her search (off the island) for Desmond after his disappearance from the around-the-world boat race held by her father.
- There are claims that the make of Desmond’s boat (“Elizabeth”) is a Swan; a Nautor Swan to be exact.
- After setting off the fail-safe underneath the “Swan Complex,” Desmond seems to have the ability to foresee events (such as Locke’s speech about saving the survivors of flight #815 that went looking for “The Others” camp & about the failure of Claire’s roof)
Inhabitants of Unknown Allegiance