Use of Names of Philosophers & Scientists
- Characters on the island whom share names with historical philosophers & scientists:
- John Locke (English Philospher)
- Danielle shares her name with Jean Jacques Rousseau (French Philosopher)
- Desmond shares his name with David Hume (April 26, 1711 — August 25, 1776) a scottish philosopher, economist and historian who, among other things, was a leading proponent of “Naturalism.”
- From Wikipedia.org: Naturalism is any of several philosophical stances … that do not distinguish the supernatural from nature.
- Desmond also shares his name with John Desmond Bernal (Irish-born scientist that proposed a self-contained space habitat in 1929 (the Bernal Sphere)
- Anthony Cooper (Locke’s father) shares his name a patron of the philosopher John Locke — Anthony Ashley Cooper, first Earl of Shaftesbury. As a writer, he is known for his works on aesthetics and civic humanism.
- On a related note: John Locke, Jean Jacques Rousseau and David Hume were all philosophers of the Age of Enlightenment (link to Wikipedia’s article)